Seasons for Growth Parent Programme
Fact Sheet – Parent Programme Please click to download.
When major change or loss occurs in families, parents’ concerns are often framed around important questions such as:
- How do I talk with my child about what’s happened?
- What kind of reaction might I expect from my child?
- What can I do to support my child?
- Does it matter if my child sees me upset?
- How will I know what my child wants or needs?
The Seasons for Growth Parent Programme has been developed to help answer some of these questions.
It provides an opportunity for parents to better understand the experience of death, separation and divorce from a child’s perspective. The programme draws on evidence about what children experience and need to help them transition well through family change.
Facilitated by a trained Seasons for Growth Companion, the distinctive child-centred approach provides emotional space and a non-judgemental environment for parents to share, discuss and learn ideas and strategies to support their children.
The Seasons for Growth Parent Programme has two separate components:
* Supporting your child following separation and divorce (1 x 4 hour or 2 x 2 hour sessions)
* Supporting your child following the death of someone they love (1 x 2 hour session)
Parents will have the opportunity to learn about:
- Children’s reactions – ages, stages and other important considerations regarding ways your children may react and cope.
- The Seasons for Growth approach to understanding and managing change, loss and grief.
- How you can help your child – identifying what you can do or change and acknowledging what you can’t.
- Communicating with your child – building a warm relationship, talking, listening and finding out from your child what s/he needs.
- Caring for yourself – what you might need in order to provide positive parenting during these difficult times.
For parents/carers interested in attending please contact you child’s school to see if they have a trained Companion able to deliver the programmes or contact the Seasons Trainer for your authority to see if it is available in your area – click here